Hi, I’m Alison Marae. Lately I’ve been concentrating on making music for the young (and young at heart). Inspired by children’s storybooks, I’m writing songs on the ukulele that are quirky and catchy for kids (and their grownups) to sing along with. I’ve also co-written three original children’s musicals (Rhythm Red Riding Hood, The Fairy and the Dragon and The Holiday Show) with my partner, Wil Forbis. Together we’ve played around the world with performances in Paris, London, NYC, Hawaii, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego and little towns in between.
Starting in Sept 2019, I’ll be teaching original, themed ukulele songs for youth educators, youth librarians and parents online. Designed to help them learn the ukulele and play/sing for their students and also for them to be able to teach the ukulele. The songs will also be available as downloads as well as online concerts for their classrooms.
When I make music for grownups, I like to blend a little jazz vocal with uplifting lyrics. My debut album, My Heart Can’t Take It was nominated for a San Diego Music Award in 2014. I produced the album and penned four of the six songs on the album. Several jazz standards are included on the album from the 1930’s. It features my vocals, ukulele and piano. Released on independent label, Dizzy with a Dame Records. The album is available for download on Itunes, Amazon and Spotify.
It’s been my life’s purpose to encourage students to express their heart and soul. With innovative teaching practices, I’ve been guiding and nurturing students for two decades to feel empowered and happy through the expression of their body, mind and spirit. I have taught and created my my own programs in studios, public school arts outreach and as staff for professional dance and music studios throughout San Diego. I was the artistic director/choreographer for a non profit dance company for 9 years and also served as master teacher for it’s professional, pre-professional dance companies and classes. For the last 7 years, I’ve been teaching private ukulele and voice lessons along with group workshops.
Highlighted PAST EVENTS
- San Diego Botanic Garden Summer Concerts, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Hullabaloo Family Music Festival, Rancho Bernardo 2016.
- San Diego Botanic Garden Fall Festival 2016.
- San Diego Ukulele Festival 2015 (performance and workshop instructor).
- Unplugged Music Festival, San Diego 2015, 2016.
- San Diego Music Thing, 2014
- Adams Ave Music Festival, 2014.
- Libertopia Festival at Humphries by the Bay, 2013.
- Portland, OR Music Tour, August 2017.
- Pacific Northwest Music Tour August 2016
- European Music Tour (Paris, London) Oct 2015.
- Hawaii Music Tour July 2014.
Live performance: The Happy Hour San Diego 107.9 FM. Sept 2015
Original Songs (registered with BMI)
- A Little Sunshine
- Don’t Do Me Any Good
- Don’t Look Away
- Falling For You
- Gotta Dance
- How Do You Love
- Kiss Me Good
- Mother Earth
- My Heart Can’t Take It
- One World, United
- Rhythm of My Heart
- Wrong For Me
Original Children’s Songs (BMI)
- Big Bad Wolf
- Busy Beezy Buzzin’ (from The Fairy and the Dragon)
- Cici the Sea Turtle and Wanda the Whale
- Clap Along Song
- Flutterby Butterfly (from The Fairy and the Dragon)
- Gotta Dance! (from Rhythm Red Riding Hood)
- Hey Hey Ukulele
- In My Pocket of the Woods (from Rhythm Red Riding Hood)
- Making a Rainbow
- Octavious the Octopus
- Shine Shine Shine (from Rhythm Red Riding Hood)
- Silly Swan
- Songbird (from The Fairy and the Dragon)
- Super Hero
- There’s No Me, Without You (from Rhythm Red Riding Hood)
- We’ve Switched, We’re Opposites (from The Fairy and the Dragon)
- Willie the Pirate
- You Look Different (from Rhythm Red Riding Hood)
- You’re My Sweet Potato