Right click to download photos
Alison Marae blends original, uplifting lyrics with jazz inflected vocals and an acoustic ukulele. She has been known to shimmy with tap dance percussion or drum rhythms on her ukulele during live performances. Alison also writes/plays music for children and families and has co-written three original kid’s shows with her partner, Wil Forbis. She has performed internationally in Paris and London, as well as in Hawaii, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and San Diego.
Alison’s debut album, My Heart Can’t Take It was nominated for a San Diego Music Award in 2014. Alison produced the album and penned four of the six songs on the album. She included several jazz standards from the 1930’s. It features her on vocals, ukulele and piano. Released on independent label, Dizzy with a Dame Records.
“Modern day music that harkens back to yesteryear, circa the 1920’s through the late 1950’s, jazzy as well as beautifully played and sung. Centered around Marae’s close mic’d voice and ukulele…it’s Marae’s voice that is the star attraction here. There is a melancholy air to the material here, with the title track in particular approaching torch song territory.” Bart Mendoza/San Diego Troubadour.
Available for download on Itunes, Amazon, Bandcamp and Spotify.
Music and lyrics by Alison Marae (tracks 2,3,4,5)
Copyright 2012 Alison Marae Dunn. BMI
Music and lyrics by Gerald Marks, Seymour Simons) (track 1)
Music and lyrics by Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh (track 6)
Instrumentation: Alison Marae: vocals: ukulele (tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6), piano (3). Wil Forbis: guitar/guitar arrangements (1, 4, 6) melodica (4) Harley Magsino: upright bass (tracks 2, 3 ,5). Sky Ladd: piano/piano arrangement (2) Brian Demeulle: drums (2, 3) Don Shaffer: flugelhorn/flugelhorn arrangement (3) Produced by Alison Marae. Recorded and mastered at Archival Sound, San Diego. Album photography: Eliah Razo.
Highlighted PAST EVENTS
- San Diego Botanic Garden Summer Concerts, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Hullabaloo Family Music Festival, Rancho Bernardo 2016.
- San Diego Botanic Garden Fall Festival 2016.
- San Diego Ukulele Festival 2015 (performance and workshop instructor).
- Unplugged Music Festival, San Diego 2015, 2016.
- San Diego Music Thing, 2014
- Adams Ave Music Festival, 2014.
- Libertopia Festival at Humphries by the Bay, 2013.
- Portland, OR Music Tour, August 2017.
- Pacific Northwest Music Tour August 2016
- European Music Tour (Paris, London) Oct 2015.
- Hawaii Music Tour July 2014.
Live performance: The Happy Hour San Diego 107.9 FM. Sept 2015
My Heart Can’t Take It (album)
Released 2013. San Diego Music Award Nomination, 2014.
Original Songs (registered with BMI)
- A Little Sunshine
- Don’t Do Me Any Good
- Don’t Look Away
- Falling For You
- Gotta Dance
- How Do You Love
- Kiss Me Good
- Mother Earth
- My Heart Can’t Take It
- One World, United
- Rhythm of My Heart
- Wrong For Me
Original Children’s Songs (BMI)
- Big Bad Wolf
- Busy Beezy Buzzin’
- Clap Along Song
- Flutterby Butterfly
- Gotta Dance!
- I’m A Super Hero
- Making a Rainbow
- Rhythm Red Riding Hood
- Shine Shine Shine
- Silly Swan
- We’ve Switched, We’re Opposites
- You’re My Sweet Potato
Vintage Jazz Standards
- All of Me
- Bei Mir Bist Du Schon
- Comes Love
- Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
- Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue
- Georgia on my Mind
- Goody Goody
- I Ain’t Got Nothin’ But the Blues
- I Can’t Give You Anything But Love
- I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
- It Don’t Mean a Thing (If it Ain’t Got That Swing)
- It Had To Be You
- It’s Only a Paper Moon
- Love Me or Leave Me
- Lover Come Back To Me
- Lullaby of Birdland
- Makin’ Whoopee
- Mean to Me
- On the Sunnyside of the Street
- Over the Rainbow
- Slow Boat to China
- Spreadin’ Rhythm Around
- Sugar (That Sugar Baby of Mine)
- The Very Thought of You
- Them There Eyes