All inquiries contact: Alison Marae
Phone: (619) 850-8912
Black and White Photos
“Modern day music that harkens back to yesteryear, circa the 1920’s through the late 1950’s, jazzy as well as beautifully played and sung. Centered around Marae’s close mic’d voice and ukulele…it’s Marae’s voice that is the star attraction here. There is a melancholy air to the material here, with the title track in particular approaching torch song territory.” Bart Mendoza/San Diego Troubadour.
Alison Marae mixes jazz and folk with a jazz inspired vocal. Currently she is in the studio recording where she will release a single every month starting June 2018. She is writing songs about peace, hope, the earth, social change and of course, love. She writes and plays with a tenor and baritone ukulele. She is accompanied by her partner, Wil Forbis on guitar. She has performed internationally in Paris and London, as well as in Hawaii, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and San Diego.
Sounds like: Nora Jones, Madeleine Peyroux, Melody Gardot, Kat Edmonson, Nellie McKay, Diana Krall, Cecile Mclorin Salvant.
Alison’s debut album, My Heart Can’t Take It was nominated for a San Diego Music Award. With an intimate exploration of the heart, the music is rooted from early 20th century jazz and folk. The album touches on matters of the heart; unspoken love, yearning, intimacy and heartache. Alison produced the album and penned most of the songs, but also included several songs from the 1930’s, a main source of her musical inspiration. It features her on the ukulele and piano. Released on independent label Dizzy with a Dame Records and recorded in San Diego at Archival Sound.
Music and lyrics by Gerald Marks, Seymour Simons) (track 1)
Music and lyrics by Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh (track 6)
Instrumentation: Alison Marae: vocals: ukulele (tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6), piano (3). Wil Forbis: guitar/guitar arrangements (1, 4, 6) melodica (4) Harley Magsino: upright bass (tracks 2, 3 ,5). Sky Ladd: piano/piano arrangement (2) Brian Demeulle: drums (2, 3) Don Shaffer: flugelhorn/flugelhorn arrangement (3) Produced by Alison Marae. Recorded and mastered at Archival Sound, San Diego. Album photography: Eliah Razo. Released on independent label Dizzy with a Dame Records and recorded in San Diego at Archival Sound.
Highlighted PAST EVENTS
- San Diego Botanic Garden Summer Concerts, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Hullabaloo Family Music Festival, Rancho Bernardo 2016.
- San Diego Botanic Garden Fall Festival 2016.
- San Diego Ukulele Festival 2015 (performance and workshop instructor).
- Unplugged Music Festival, San Diego 2015, 2016.
- San Diego Music Thing, 2014
- Adams Ave Music Festival, 2014.
- Libertopia Festival at Humphries by the Bay, 2013.
- Portland, OR Music Tour, August 2017.
- Pacific Northwest Music Tour August 2016
- European Music Tour (Paris, London)Oct 2015.
- Hawaii Music Tour July 2014.
Live: The Happy Hour San Diego/Mountain Country Radio 107.9 FM. Sept 2015
San Diego Music Award Nomination, 2014.
Original Songs (registered with BMI)
- A Little Sunshine
- Don’t Do Me Any Good
- Don’t Look Away
- Gotta Dance
- How Do You Love
- I’m In Love With You
- Kiss Me Good
- Mother Earth
- My Heart Can’t Take It
- One World, United
- Rhythm of My Heart
- Wrong For Me
Vintage Jazz Standards
- All of Me
- Bei Mir Bist Du Schon
- Comes Love
- Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
- Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue
- Georgia on my Mind
- Goody Goody
- I Ain’t Got Nothin’ But the Blues
- I Can’t Give You Anything But Love
- I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
- It Don’t Mean a Thing (If it Ain’t Got That Swing)
- It Had To Be You
- It’s Only a Paper Moon
- Love Me or Leave Me
- Lover Come Back To Me
- Lullaby of Birdland
- Makin’ Whoopee
- Mean to Me
- On the Sunnyside of the Street
- Over the Rainbow
- Slow Boat to China
- Spreadin’ Rhythm Around
- Sugar (That Sugar Baby of Mine)
- The Very Thought of You
- Them There Eyes